Vertical menu icon, also known as the hamburger icon
Immigration Solutions
Banner logo image
Law Office of Hamid R. Kashani
Attorney at Law
Show Full Menu

Applying for Naturalization (Citizenship)

by Hamid R. Kashani, Attorney at Law
Nov 07, 2018

If you have been a U.S. permanent resident for five (5) years, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization (citizenship).

Permanent residents who have been married and living with the same U.S. citizen (same-sex or opposite-sex) for three years, become eligible for citizenship in three (3) years. See Citizenship after Marriage to U.S. Citizen.

Topic image for Applying for Naturalization (Citizenship)

What are the eligibility requirements for naturalization?

If you wish to apply for naturalization and benefit from the reduced residence requirement based on marriage to a U.S. citizen, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be 18 or older. See Minimum Age Exemption for Military Service During Hostilities.
  • You must have been a permanent resident for at least five (5) years prior to filing your naturalization application. If you held a conditional permanent resident card (e.g. EB-5 investment immigrants) before removing the condition, the five-year period is counted from the effective date of your conditional permanent residence card.
  • You must have continuously maintained residence in the United States for five (5) years before filing your application for naturalization.  See Continuous Residence Exemption for Certain Employees Stationed Overseas.
  • You must have been physically present in the United States for at least thirty (30) months out of the last five (5) years immediately before filing your application for naturalization.
  • You must not have taken a trip lasting one (1) year or more out of the United States, unless you had received approval on your Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes (USCIS Form N-470), before such a trip.
    In general, overseas trips under six (6) months do not break your continuous residence requirement. Trips over 6 months, but less than a year, may break your continuous residence, and trips lasting one year or more will break your continuous residence. Note that if you engineer your trips to take successive trips each under six (6) months, the USCIS may combine them all together and deem them as a single long trip.
  • You must have lived within the state or the USCIS district for a period of three (3) months immediately before filing your naturalization application.
  • You must be able to read, write, and speak English at a basic level.  See Language Test Exemption Based on Age or Disability.
  • You must demonstrate knowledge and an understanding of the United States history and the form and principles of the U.S. government (civics).  See Civics Test Exemption Based on Age or Disability.
  • You must be a person of good moral character.
  • You must not have evaded registration with the Selective Services or deserted from the U.S. armed forces. See Selective Service Registration/Military Service Requirement for Citizenship.
  • You must be ready to support the Constitution of the United States and be willing to take an oath of allegiance to the United States

How do I apply for naturalization (citizenship)?

To apply for naturalization (citizenship), you must file an Application for Naturalization (USCIS Form N-400), together with the supporting documents and fees, with the USCIS.  In a few weeks, you will receive a notice for biometric interview. After the preliminary approval of your application a few months later, you will be called for an interview and citizenship examination (including the language and civics tests, if applicable).  If you are approved, you will receive a notice scheduling you for the naturalization ceremony, where you will take the oath of allegiance and receive your naturalization certificate.

To see the current USCIS fee for naturalization petitions, see USCIS Fee Schedule.

To see how long the USCIS would take to adjudicate the petition, see USCIS Processing Times.

You may file your naturalization application ninety (90) days before meeting the continuous residence requirement. Note that 89 days is not always the same as three (3) months.

Can I travel out of the United States after filing for naturalization?

Yes. However, note that the rules regarding continuous residence and physical presence apply up to the time of naturalization itself. Therefore, if you meet these requirements on a marginal basis, you should avoid overseas travel.  In any event, consult your attorney before departing the country.

Related Topics:

Citizenship after Marriage to U.S. Citizen

Selective Service Registration Requirement

Preparing for Citizenship Civics Test

Civic Test Exemption

Language Test Exemption

Continuous Residence Exemption or Reduced Requirement

Minimum Age Exemption


Was the information on this page helpful?
Home iconHome|About Us iconAbout Us|
Contact Us iconContact Us|Schedule Consultation iconSchedule Consultation
Terms of Use iconTerms of Use|Privacy Policy iconPrivacy Policy|
Important Notice iconImportant Notice
© Copyright, Law Office of Hamid R. Kashani, 2024. All rights reserved.

made by